Wednesday, September 15, 2010

New Zealand Round 2

Hello all,

So we are now skiing in New Zealand again, but this time we are a little further north at a mountain call Mt. Hutt. Yesterday was our first day skiing so we started taking it easy with a little super g free skiing and gs training. After the gs, a few of us decided to get back on super g skis and start tuck running down where we trained and pop a roller. The goal was to have fun and get as much airtime as possible. We kept pushing the speed and taking more risks. Unfortuantely, I was the one to crash on our last run of the day. Will Brandenburg, Tommy Ford and I were going rapid fire and they estimated I had been going upwards of 70 mph and flying somewhere around 240 ft. I popped on my last jump (very poor idea at that speed) and catch wind in my chest and immediately was pushed backwards. I knew I was in trouble right from the takeoff and did the standard "rolling down the windows" to see if I could get myself to a position to land without crashing. The further I went, I more I knew I couldn't get anywhere near that position. I essentially landed directly on my back with both skis ripping off. From there, my feet dug into the snow and catapulted me forwards, front flipping through the base of a gate. At some point during all this, my ski cut my leg pretty deep. I finished rag dolling down the hill dazed and without a few pieces of equipment I started with. Someone pointed out that my suit was cut and that's when I noticed I had a deep gash. I was very lucky to walk away from that crash and I will still be skiing whenever the weather permits us to. That's all for now. I'll update more as things happen down here in New Zealand.

I posted some pictures up in the Pictures section of my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment