Monday, November 22, 2010

A Little R&R

Levi was an experience. I had to do a lot of things I hadn't done in a long time and possibly even learned a few things. We saw some fast skiing and some guys struggling early in the season.

Right off the bat, the airlines lost my backpack. Normally this wouldn't be that big of a deal but on a trip like this, traveling so far for one race, it's tough to deal with. This bag had contained all my essentials including helmet, goggles, suit, jacket, pants, shorts and shin guards. To find these things at a race where everyone packed light because of the distance and length of trip is almost impossible. I trained in random equipment leading up to the race, even using jeans and sweatpants on different occasions. I ended up using Lindsey Vonn's rainbow sl suit, Mike Janyk's helmet and goggles, Hailey Duke's mittens and Julien Lizeroux's shin guards. Unfortunately, I only made it a few gates before getting into trouble and skiing out of the course. Long trip for an early exit when it counted. Well, there's always next year... but in the meantime, check out Will Brandenburg's runs! He started 35 and blazed to an 8th place finish on the first run but ran into some issues and straddled on the second run. It's fun to see guys charging and doing well, especially a guy like Will.

After the Levi world cup had ended, everyone headed back to their respective homes for a little rest and recovery. I have a week off at home before traveling to Vail for another training block. Next weekend we have the opening NorAm events, two sl and two gs races, at Loveland and Aspen respectively. The following weekend is Beaver Creek, where I will be racing the gs. I'm really excited about racing in front of the home crowd. These five races are my only races in the states this year besides U.S. National Champs at Winter Park in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment