Monday, July 9, 2012

Life now

This past season ended with a lot happening in a short period of time. World Cup Finals were hosted by Schladming, AUT. Did great in the one run of the team event I finished cleanly but unfortunately crashed out in the other two. Our team did end up in 4th place, an exciting end to the season as I hiked in the slalom over the weekend.

From there, I went and tested equipment over the next few days. It was great to get some different feelings under my feet and eventually led to my decision to switch to Fischer skis, boots and bindings. I'm really excited to get back into the gates and really see what I can do with these things!

After I left Europe, I traveled straight to Vail to get surgery on my other hip that was giving me problems throughout the season. The surgery went well, a much easier version of the first one I had last August. Now that I have a matching set of surgeries, hopefully I will never have problems with my hips again.

This trip to Colorado ended abruptly two days after surgery when I returned home to prepare for spring term at Dartmouth College. I look forward to school each year so that I can switch gears and focus on another important aspect of my life. Ten weeks at school is tough but it gets my mind away from skiing and allows me to rest my body while working my brain. I have finally finished my freshman year of college and it only took three years!!!

When school ended, skiing became the number one priority. I had rehabbed in Hanover and got to the point where I could get back on snow a soon as spring term ended. I went with the team on a short trip to Mt. Hood, Oregon in June and then followed it up by coaching a camp that Ted Ligety and Andrew Weibrecht have done the past few summers. I really enjoyed working with the kids both on and off the snow for ten days at the end of June. Hopefully I was able to inspire them while spending the necessary time sliding around on snow before I really get back to training.

Now, I am back in Park City, UT training to get into shape for our next on-snow camp in Queenstown, New Zealand. I leave a the end of the month, so I still have a few weeks to get to where I want to be. That will be the first time I really get back into training gates with my teammates since last winter. I look forward to being healthy going into this season.



*I will be having a helmet design contest for this upcoming season, start getting some ideas together! I will also be making new t-shirts so if you missed out last summer, this will be your chance. More info on both coming soon...*

2 comments:

  1. Nolan, I'm a 23 year old skier that's been out of the sport since tearing my gluteus medius tendon 4 years ago. I had that fixed and a FAI repair done 3.5 months ago. I read in a magazine that after your first procedure you were back to World Cup level in 3 months: did you make any major modifications to the phillipon/steadman recovery plan ? My doc also trained at the clinic, but is adamant about me waiting the full 6 months. I'm curious how intense your therapy was, so maybe i can add some things to my routine of exercises and biking so eventually I can start skiing sugarbush again on weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nolan, I'm a 23 year old skier that's been out of the sport since tearing my gluteus medius tendon 4 years ago. I had that fixed and a FAI repair done 3.5 months ago. I read in a magazine that after your first procedure you were back to World Cup level in 3 months: did you make any major modifications to the phillipon/steadman recovery plan ? My doc also trained at the clinic, but is adamant about me waiting the full 6 months. I'm curious how intense your therapy was, so maybe i can add some things to my routine of exercises and biking so eventually I can start skiing sugarbush again on weekends.

    ReplyDelete